View Single Post
Old February 21st, 2014, 05:49 AM   #298
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR2Aaron View Post
Update: I actually bought an R6 throttle tube.

The diameter of the cable spindle portion is 36.6mm. This is 1 or 2 mm greater than my Ninja 500R's throttle tube with 1 zip tie attached, and probably 3-4mm wider than the bare 500 part.

The channels I asked about previously are every bit as big as they look in the photo. My caliper indicates that I'd need to find an extra 8 to 10mm of slack in the opening cable to make it work, unaltered. Subjectively, I don't think there's an extra 10mm of slack to be found in the 500's cables.

I have not attempted this yet, as I don't have an extra rubber grip for the R6 tube, but it appears that 5 minutes with a dremel tool would solve the slack problem. Just grind off 8mm or so of the channel on opening side, and you'd be good to go.
I haven't yet done the swap on my EX500 either, but I did get a NewGen throttle tube from PartsNinja.

If you're thinking about the old R6/R1 tube, it seems the NewGen tube is the same size, so it should give the same results and be less work to install (since the wheel is the same style). Based on your measurements, it looks like the PreGen/500 has the same size wheel as the 750 Turbo in icbm's pic. I also plan to take a pic like this of the old part once I do my swap.
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote