View Single Post
Old January 15th, 2018, 04:33 PM   #40
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonieibarra View Post
I have a 99 yamaha r6. This is my first winter i went to start it today after a while of not starting it and all the electric works it turn on but when i press the ignition the pistons spin really slow and it doesent start. I did not do anything in prep for winter. Does anyone know how to fix it?
That may mean a bit of work to get it going.

If you didn't add stabilizer and run it enough to get it into the carbs, or drain the floatbowls (best), then you probably have a tank of bad gas.

Left sitting long enough in the carbs, the gas will evaporate and leave a film of "varnish" in the bowl and jets. If it's bad enough you'll need to remove and completely disassemble the carbs to remove it.

Start by charging the battery and draining the floatbowls. The gas that sits there loses volatility and goes bad the quickest - making starting difficult.

Draining the tank completely and filling with fresh gas and stabilizer is a good next step. A full tank of stabilized ethanol-free gas will last a long time, but draining the floatbowls while it's in storage is always the best imo.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.