View Single Post
Old January 4th, 2019, 10:38 AM   #1
Finesse
ran when parked

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): Freeride 250R, KLX250SF, mopeds

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
Any Cargo Van Experts?

I'm looking for a van to haul my dirtbike/other bikes around in. I currently use a harbor freight trailer that I tow with my car and it's becoming an unmanageable situation lol. I don't really wanna go into all the reasons, but I've decided to start looking for a van! (NOT a pickup truck, NOT a school bus, NOT a newer trailer)

From what I've heard/read, the 2005+ Chevy Express 2500 4.8L V8 is widely regarded as a reliable and inexpensive choice. I'm looking for something to get me to motorcycle events within about 5 hours of where I live. I want something on the newer side, 2005+ just to avoid rust, corrosion, issues that have been ignored etc. The newer the better, and original miles only, I don't want something with a rebuilt motor or trans. Willing to pay up to about $5000 for something in decent mechanical condition that passes state inspection/emissions. (Reasonable?) No Astro/Safari, too short, KTM won't fit through the doors. Would consider E150 or E250 but I heard to stay away from Dodge vans.

Can someone tell me about the differences between the 2500 and 3500 series Express or Savanna? I want something that's cheaper to work on, I'm not going to do it myself. I don't need to tow anything or haul anything heavy. I would be fine with the 1500 and smaller motor but I hear the V8 is more reliable.

Any advice about these would be appreciated. It's kind of hard to find reviews that take into consideration buying a 10 year old vehicle. All the reviews seem to be written during the year the vehicle was made. I wanna know about potential issues I may run into that are model or type-specific.

Thanks in advance!