View Single Post
Old May 25th, 2015, 08:14 PM   #25
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell_hs View Post
I tried to drive it on the road shortly after I posted that reply and getting to the asphalt was no problem. No hesitation or bogging. But as soon as I have it some gas on the asphalt it immediately started bogging and cut off when I let go of the throttle. Same thing it was doing before. I have the cables how they are supposed to be. They were too tight. Also, a motorcycle mechanic came by and told me that since I had put 87 in it then that could've messed it up. He said that has happened to him because of the amount of ethanol. And, I did drain the float bowls and saw maybe a smal drop of water. Nothing too major. He told me to drain the tank, put 93 in it, and some of that throttle system cleaner in it. After I take the carbs apart and clean the jets again. But I think I'll just take it to a mechanic this week and get them to do it. I'd hate to do it incorrectly for a second time. Lol. But I'll let you guys know what he says it is. I really do appreciate all the help you guys have given me. And actually yes, the plugs were wet with oil. And I noticed that when the bike warmed up, a considerable amount of smoke was coming from under the motor. Could that be bad valve cover gaskets?
The only reason to ever go above 87 octane is to get away from ethanol. The increased octane itself is not an advantage.

If you saw any water in the gas from the floatbowls you need to completely drain the tank.

This still can easily be nothing more than an issue of bad fuel. Don't give up fixing it yourself yet.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote