Thread: 140 80 17 tires
View Single Post
Old July 28th, 2016, 12:02 AM   #1
ZeroGravity360
Just sittin on my stool..

Name: Amanda

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

140 80 17 tires

So I have been using the bike for commuting purposes and got a nail in my tire. I replaced the rear with a 140 80 17 tire (it was the one recommended for the 3.5 rims) I got the bt 45s and only got about 20 miles on them today. The reason I got a bigger tire is because call me crazy, but I didn't like how "flick able" the stock tires are. I'm not doing any twisters except on a rare occasion. The 140 70s said for 4.0 rim but the 140 80s were for a 3.5. What I did not expect was how much taller the 80s are to the 70s more than an inch added in diameter. (I looked after I was like wtf this is so tall lol) do i have any major things I need to worry about with this? Other than height, I really like the bigger tires. The only flaw is it's really close to the rear of the swing arm (about 2-3 mm clearance) and it physically looks huge, but I feel more stable in turns and less like I need to come back up to correct my line. Thoughts? Options?? Anyone do this yet?

Oh and another question. In changing my tire the shop really botched my rim :-( how do I repair the chunks out of it? I asked them and they said they do tires by hand and black nail polish will hide the scuffs. Needless to say I'll never go back to that shop.