Thread: 140 80 17 tires
View Single Post
Old August 1st, 2016, 10:48 AM   #33
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroGravity360 View Post
Yeah, that's what I figured. When I put it in my stand and rotate the tire, no rubbing. I rode about 40 mph, got home, no lines. But when I got in the highway I came home to the lines... My friend I was with told me it wasn't too bad because it isn't anywhere near as deep as the treads and once I break I'm the tire, I shouldn't have rubbing at all. Is the correct? I was going to go up to Putnam to have you look at it, but my significant other didn't want me riding an hour by my self.
Well, once the metal wears away the rubber that's hitting it (or you wear the tire tread down with enough use), it won't rub anymore, since there won't be anything left there to rub.

Keep in mind that as long as you have grooves visible like that, the metal is riding in that little carved out channel in the tire. If the tire's shape changes (due to increased speed, lean angles, etc.), it could put nearby rubber in contact with the metal instead. It's not going to completely lock up the rear or anything, but just remember that it could rub more under more extreme circumstances, which is generally when you want the least amount of surprises.

It doesn't look too deep. I wouldn't expect it to cause significant damage to the tire. But keep an eye on it to make sure, and don't forget that as long as you have tread higher than the bottom of the groove, the tire could still rub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacinNinja View Post
A properly sprung shock upgrade would help minimize the rear shock travel and probably make the rubbing lessen considerably or go away all together. Pretty sure you can pick one up for less than $100 on fleabay.
If the tire is rubbing on the swingarm, changing the shock will have absolutely no effect on that.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***