Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweedo View Post
.......I did feel like I gained some power in the mid range after I put the 88-94 cdi in.
It is normally a trade-off rather than a miraculous gain.
Same with sprocket's combinations.
What you gain at certain rpm's, you lose at some other.

"Golden Rule of Mechanics: Whenever you use ramps, levers or belt-pulleys, screw-winches or or mechanical equipment to lift an item, the rule says: "The less force you need, the more distance you need"."

Playing mainly with the timing (and throttle diameter for carburated bikes), the manufacturer tries achieving a middle compromise, good for low, middle and high rpm's, but not great for any particular range.

Old bikes had engines with flat performance, reason for which three combination of gears were enough.
The engine of the Ninja was designed to be a peak-performance type, good for 9K to 12K rpm's and mediocre for anything out of that range.
For that reason we need to use six gears to keep the engine spinning at its best for any speed of the bike.

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.