View Single Post
Old October 10th, 2017, 07:12 AM   #12
isuoboe
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 1981 Honda CB125S, 2006 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetz View Post
Sorry for resurrecting such an old thread but what did you end up doing here? I'm looking for the same for my wife's Ninja.
Deetz: you asked me about the side stand I listed on "free stuff," but I can't find your post. Glad I saw you here. I can do better than an extra side stand. I have the links AND a shortened side stand. Send me a private message and we can talk! I think this lowers it about 2 inches.

When I bought my 2006, it had been lowered but I didn't know it! Scraped the first time I went around a corner. (I had been very gentle when I went on a test drive.) That was a huge disappointment; I'd been riding a 1981 Honda CB125S; I buy a "sport bike" (with 2X the CC's), and apparently I have to be careful going around corners?! I immediately went back to the dealer I bought it from. The person who sold me the bike didn't know it had been lowered, but the person I asked about it when I went back did know. I was easy on them; I bought the links and side stand on Ebay, and got them to do the work of putting it back to original without charge. I found out the previous owner was a girl, had it lowered at 900 miles; I bought at 1040 miles. I guess she wasn't meant for riding.

Only the back of mine was lowered.

If someone feels uncomfortable without lowering the bike, I wonder about putting it back to normal after they get comfortable with it (providing of course they can at least reach on toes). Scraping in corners must be dangerous, and being that careful around corners defeats what riding is all about. I am not that aggressive a rider. I am about 5'81/2". As far as reaching the ground, I would rather be a bit higher!

As others have said, the center stand becomes unusable; actually, since you don't need it except for servicing (like chain maintenance), you can either use an assistant to help lift it on the stand, or perhaps rolling the bike up on 2X4's would allow you to get it on the stand solo.