View Single Post
Old July 5th, 2023, 06:26 PM   #41
jk3099
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by racered View Post
I watched the video's, I read the thread, here are my notes...
Paul
Thanks for taking the time to read this thread and for your great comments and questions! My responses/answers are as follows (questions in italics)

(I think) The petcock is "off" in the video's, not reserve or on. ( OK for the vacuum test but not for a fuel flow test).
Good point. This is very possible, so I'll have to try this again. I believe I switched it to reserve while doing the fuel flow test, but I'm not sure.

I did not hear any "compression events" while you were cranking the engine, are the spark plugs installed in the video's?
Yes, spark plugs are installed. I just changed them, so I'm going to go back and take a look at them again. Maybe I incorrectly installed them?

When you adjusted the intake valve,did you have the cam out to change a shim? or is there an adjuster? Cam timing may not be accurate if you had to remove the cam, resulting in no compression, no vacuum.
Cam was not out, and I wasn't aware of any adjuster. I didn't mess with the engine for the most part other than just measuring the gaps.

For the vacuum test during cranking, the throttle plates need to be "closed" as in "idle" not held open by the adjuster screwed in a bunch. Spark plugs installed, and a charged battery that will spin the motor.
For a "compression" test you hold the throttle open.
No need to crank more than three seconds for vacuum test result.

Good notes; thanks! The adjuster screw comment is interesting. It's opened/screwed all the way right now; should I lower it and then try again? I had better luck firing the engine up when it was a little lower.

On the oil overfill, how much are you pouring in?
I remember my 250 was just a little more than one quart.
How much oil is draining out when you think it is overfull, two quarts?

I probably poured in ~2.3 quarts or so. There was ~1.7 quarts left in the gallon of oil I purchased, so that's how much I added, and it seemed to be perfect per the line on the sight glass.
jk3099 is offline   Reply With Quote