View Single Post
Old December 17th, 2022, 08:52 PM   #41
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

LOL I got to thinking I could just grind down the out side of the round shim to fit in the bucket..... and if I didn't have another set already coming I would do that.. but what's the point eh ?
sense the bucket on top of the valve does nothing but keep the shim in place, the shim's out side dimensions are not critical, so the shim could be an octagon and it would not matter ! nor would the engine care.... ( ya gott'a keep it happy ya know)
.... of course I would endeavor to make them as round as possible and fit good.... but in this case I will just wait for the new ones .... if they turn out to be 9.49 in diameter I WILL grind them down to fit !!! lol.....
I have heard of guys sanding down the thickness of shims to keep them in tolerance...
but they should have a polished surface.... they are after all just a spacer... the only thing critical about them is their thickness..... well, and their diameter ! they do not rub on the cam, the cam follower does that ... so I could make the ones I have fit. but that is alot of work for nothing when I have new ones coming ! LOL
I'll wait !
Bob.......