View Single Post
Old January 10th, 2023, 06:47 PM   #53
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Ahh that's good to know.... isn't that called full scavenging ? regardless...that is good to know ! .... turns out after I put the cam tensionier in place and took the key I made out of it and it extended and tightened the cam chain both the cams turned about 1/8 turn I thought OH NO ! and figured the valve timing was way off at that point... but I turned it through by hand and got it to #2T and looked at the cam marks they were dead on where they should be !
so I was real happy to see that.... got ready to start putting the valve cover back on and what do you think I found ? a guide pin... off one of the bearing caps so I started taking each one off and checking.... sure enough on the last bearing cap to come off I found it ! I put it back where it was supposed to go and put the bolts back in and dropped the friggin socket ! and of course it went tink tink clank clunk all the way down the cam-chain tunnel !.... so I got my handy dandy magnet and couldn't get the angle to get down there with the end bearing cap on... so it had to come off again.... and then I could fish out the socket.... and put that bearing cap back on for the 3rd time ! ....
it's now all torqued down and ready to have the valve cover put back on it
.... so I didn't make much progress this time out in the shop as it was fixing my mistakes mostly ! .... but I am confident it is right the timing is spot on with the cams and I triple checked that.
.... 3rd time is the charm for this bike, I dunno what is up with that but it sure seems to be like that ! maybe because I am also the 3rd I dunno ! HAHAHAHA
so Now it's the valve cover , frame piece and then radiator and all the hoses and stuff....then the freshly rebuilt carbs and then we'll see if it runs again!
I have a question.... how is a person supposed to remove the sparkplugs from this bike with the gas tank on it ? are you supposed to remove the tank to do that ? ....
back in the 1970's spark plugs were sooo poor that 1 in 4 were bad from the factory.... I admit sense I've gotten back into bikes around 2000 that I haven't had near as many sparkplugs go bad on me riding around... in fact none that I can recall..... but with the past record of sparkplugs I am thinking that is probably going to hit us again in the near future and having to remove the tank to pull sparkplugs would be a major P.I.T.A. !
.... triumph spark plugs are super easy to get to...as is the RX4 and TT250
but the Ninja not so much..... is there a special wrench you can get to take out the plugs without removing the tank?
Bob.....