View Single Post
Old February 18th, 2023, 02:17 PM   #68
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Yah I hear that ! back in the 1980's when I always removed that junk from our cars I did exactly that... and what's more important is to not damage anything
like those steel lines that go to the smog pump...
.... I had to cut them off as they were frozen on there... and if I had to put it all back on again I would have had to replace the smog pump.... I didn't have to put it back on and we drove that little Ford pinto thousands of miles
but in that time they started doing smog checks and sense the car was totally used up by then we simply parked it on the Ranch... and got another beater !
then my wife's folks surprised us with a brand new Toyota tercile ! and it still ran at 410,000 miles but the rods were making noise... I priced re building it and it cost more for the parts than the car was worth.... that one I never touched the smog stuff on... having to go get a smog check every year was the deciding factor for me... it's just too much hassel
Now days we moved out of Shasta county and this county does not require smog checks .... it's like UH ?!?!?! but that is a fact.
.....I had no idea it was a COUNTY thing.... I always knew the city fathers of Shasta county were more crooked than a dogs hind leg but they were obviously paid under the table to push it through as no one wanted it....
one of the DMV employees were telling me about that years later. I checked that with a sheriff friend of mine and he said Oh yes definitely they are the worst of the worst... but be patient they will get theirs..... as far as I know they never did.

So yes definitely if you do remove the smog crap on your bike put it all in a box and save it because you may need it some day and that stuff is expensive.
I'm just about ready to put the carbs back in the bike and we will see if anything changed.... it shouldn't have as I found nothing wrong!
but we shall see....
Bob......