View Single Post
Old February 18th, 2023, 05:52 PM   #69
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Ok I just came in from the shop and the Ninja.....
got it running again had to choke the hell out of it but it finally took off....
I ran it for about 30~45 seconds checking for gas leaks ( I don't have coolant in it yet)
.... it warmed up a bit and started gaining RPMS like normal
choke still on and I gave it some throttle ...it went up to 9 grand straight away....
throttled back and it sounded funny around 7k& 6k coming back down... I let it idle a sec then took off the choke and it didn't want to take throttle yet without the choke on
sense it's still fairly cold, turned on the choke again and reved it up slowly and it went past 5k easily 6k and 7k it sounded funny 8k and 9k sounded good again !
THAT is SPARK PLUG !!!! it sounded funny because it was dropping a cylinder !
I did that 3 more times to confirm it and sure enough it sounds like spark plugs to me now ! ......
Could I be so lucky ? ..... I bet I am ! remember I said the spark plugs looked dark ?
when I put them back in ? that could be why ....
if you remember last time it would not go above 5~6 grand even holding the throttle WOT
this time it hesitated and I gave it more throttle and it slowly climbed to 9K and ran good ...it didn't do that last time. PLUGS !
I think it's time to buy some new plugs !
this time running it felt entirely differently but it more or less had the same problem
but I guess my hard of hearing didn't make the connection of it dropping a cylinder
.... those pistons move so fast in there it's hard for me to hear a dropped cylinder on the ninja... on the Triumph there's no problem I can hear it easily but the ninja not so much !
I did not have the vacuum petcock hooked up, I just turned it to PRI ... I plugged every line to the gas tank vacuum attachments and the line for the petcock
I think I found the problem...... spark plugs ! of all the Stupid.......... ahem !
well, at least I have a direction to go in now
.... new plugs and it should run like a champ !
....I do have to remember to put coolant in it though !

( I should have new plugs in the shop already I think!)
Bob.....