View Single Post
Old April 17th, 2023, 03:02 PM   #72
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Ok I finally got back to the Ninja 250R.....
I pulled the old plugs and put in new iridium NGK plugs the gap looked good so I left them alone and just put them in the bike....
My temporary gas tank finally dried good so I took it out to theXR650 and filled it up because that was the easiest way to get gas in that plastic jar...
I used one of the old petcock valves off the Triumph 750 and bolted it to the plastic jar and then covered the outside of the fitting with shoe-goo and let it dry for 2 days....
I plugged in the gas line to the carbs on the Ninja and started it ...
realised the radiaror was dry still so I turned it off and filled the radiator.... that took a long time to get all the bubbles out but finally it quit taking coolant....
it would start fairly easily with the choke on full but it would not take any throttle... I let it warm up a bit and finally played with it right at the edge of the flat spot enough to where it finally got over it and reved way up to over 9k RPM
but soon as it went down it did not want to throttle up again.... so I again attempted to adjust the low speed fuel/air screws I think I had one screw out about 3 or 4 turns and the other at about 2.... not real sure on that because you can't see good or feel if you are actually on the screw to begin with... I think I got them both arround 3 turns out now and it's bogg point is smaller but still very hard to get over that bog without killing the bike
if I get it above 6~7 grand in RPM it will go higher with ease but up to 6k
is extreamily hard to get there ... if you give it the throttle it just boggs and dies like it's sucking too much air I've got a plug in every vacuum line I can find but it is obviously getting too much air from somewhere.... it's acting like a vacuum line is completely off and sucking air.... but all the lines are connected where they should be.... ( I think anyway)
so the mechanical part of the bike is actually fixed... the valves are good and I don't have to worry about the timing being off as it got to 12,000 RPM one time so if the timing was off it would never get that high....
I think 80% of my problems is adjusting the fuel/air screws...
so I think what I will do is seat them and back them out 2.5 turns each and then try it..... I have Absolutely no idea where they ended up at as I was trying to adjust them to the highest RPM but that really didn't work as there was no change I had the idle stop screw adjusted for 2000 RPM and that is probably why that didn't work .... I've always adjusted fuel/air screws at 500~800 RPM in that area and soon as it raised to 1000 RPM I lowered the RPM again back down to 500~800 RPM and that has always worked good for me on twins.....
this bike is finicky, it has to be set up perfictly or it will not run right there is no lee-way for forgiveness it's perfect or nothing ! at least that is my impression !!!! LOL

So.... it does run but there is a huge bogg at just above idle till around 6k RPM and then it takes off and runs like a champ..... I won't run it at high rpms without a load on it as that will destroy a motor fast.... but I did it enough to get the profile of how it is running.....
it's got a huge mid range bog ! ....
and I have no idea what is causing it...... do you guys have any suggestions ?
Bob.........