View Single Post
Old May 5th, 2023, 01:03 PM   #73
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

As an update to this old thread, I boxed up the carbs and sent them back to Gordon at his offer to give them another going through.... I took him up on his offer and sent them to him, we discussed that we should try some different things one smaller main jets as it was running too rich.... and Gordon suggested 2 shims.... and after reading about 30 different posts about guys having a bogging issue like I had I totally agreed. ( 95 main jets and 2 Shims under the needles)
Gordon did his Work on the carbs a second time, without charging me anything.... and changed the jets and shims and in his inspection of the carbs he found the float level on one carb was too high.... which he surmised was the main problem. so he replaced both floats and their seats. and set the float height.
then he boxed them up and sent them back to me.
I got the carbs back a few days ago, and last night I installed them
had a fuel delivery issue from my temporary gas tank, figured that out and
finally got gas to the carbs.... and I noticed gas running underneath the bike
so I turned off the gas, and then noticed both carbs leaking gas from the overflow on each carb.
I turned on the choke and hit the starter and the bike fired right up !
and idled nicely I then added throttle and the RPM climbed like it should !
( instead of bogging).... even on a cold engine which this bike has never done sense I've owned it.... it was like WOW I think he fixed it !
I revved it a few times to 6,000 RPM without a hitch and it showed signs of running low on gas.... so I turned on the fuel and filled the carbs again...
fuel ran out of both carb over flows again... so I turned off the fuel again.
this time sense it was a bit warmer I revved it to 8k RPM and there are no issues at all.... it runs fantastically !
.... I then turned it off and thought about it.... ....
I then turned on the gas and then tapped the bowls of the carbs with a hammer.... no change... hit the starter and it fired right up without hesitation....
.... if it wern't for the gas overflowing out of the carbs overflow now they would be perfect..... but gas is still flowing out the overflow so I need to
set the fuel level lower....
and that is where I set for the moment.
....better but not right yet.
Bob......