View Single Post
Old July 14th, 2019, 04:42 PM   #11
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
You say you have compression... did you use a gauge to check it? I'm wondering if there's a valve timing problem.

You could put a teaspoon of gasoline in each cylinder through the plug holes and see if it runs briefly, as it would if something came through the fuel line and clogged both carbs. That seems unlikely, but so do your symptoms.
This is quickest and easiest test to determine if you have petrol flow issue. I missed first two races of last season because my bike ran for 30-seconds on 1st-lap and died! Couldn't figure it out. Petcock had vacuum, it flowed plenty. Had sparks. Wife suggested I really look deep into carbs and here's what I found:

what's that??@#$!%

WOW!!! How'd that get there ?#$%(!&@

I figured it had crawled up carb's vent-hose and died. With it floating around in bowl, there would be random amount of time before it was sucked up. So bike ran fine up and down pit-lane to warm up. Then got sucked up 30-seconds into race, it shut down bike. I pushed bike back to pit and critter dropped out of jet back into float bowl. Bike ran perfectly fine back at pits, full-throttle to redline in 1st & 2nd gears, so I got on grid for my 2nd race. Didn't even get to green-flag when it died AGAIN!

So following my wife's advice (she's always right!), I disassembled carbs and found the spider! Also flossed out all jets, holes and passages for good measure (counted legs and one was missing). Got everything back together and did remaining two races of day. When I got home, I added a little fibreglass gauze to end of vent-tube to prevent future incidents!

DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote