View Single Post
Old August 22nd, 2012, 10:12 AM   #12
edxmon
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R (SOLD - 2/16/2013)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA-Moo View Post
Do as you wish, safety should be considered at all times on a bike. Keeping alert and putting yourself in a safe position seems like a good idea to me. Saved me from getting smashed up more than once. At a stop, almost all danger comes directly from behind you.........
I DO as I wish. I never said ANYTHING against safety, if I did then I'm sorry. What I am saying is that when you share the road with ANY other driver, be it another rider or a car, you also SHARE the responsibility and safety precautions. Unfortunately out there your safety is no longer 100% in your hands, this is true for life in general. "Risk assesment and acceptance" is one of the first things they teach in the MSF course: "How much risk are you willing to accept?" Is asked verbatim in the manual to each and every student.

An example close to THIS community? EthioKnight. At first I thought he was a little goofy because he was one of the few people on this forum who I saw wearing FULL ATGATT EVERY TIME, and I MEAN, EVERY.TIME., even when his bike was down for a week and he rode his 50cc scooter, he STILL wore a full body leather suit. He was more cautious and experienced than many members here (not to mention random tshirt-flipflopers on the road) including myself, and look at the tragedy that happened to him. Some lady came across multiple lanes as if targetting him.

Yes, always prepare for the worst and be preventive but don't be surprised when something bites your ass. Yes hind sight is 20/20, and it's always easy to say how something can be avoided AFTER the fact. You can't avoid life.