View Single Post
Old September 2nd, 2021, 12:14 AM   #8410
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

I tore into the 2012 250R Ninja again today, took the side fairings off and started trying to figure out the "How to put on" part of the Sliders I got off Amazon.... sense they came with no instructions....
so I tried to follow the guys Post on this forum about putting those exact things on my bike.... however I ran into a snag right off the bat. the 2 piece bolt arangement they sent with the Kit doesn't fit in the recess it is supposed to fit in.... so I was left with 2 options,... either make a entirely new bolt 11" long or cut and piece the old one by adding a steel rod in the middle of it....
...I opted for making a new bolt, I cut a 11" piece of 1/2" rod and discovered it would not go through the frame bolt holes to hold the engine on with... so I had to reduce it's diameter... no problem I thought I have a lathe ! so I chucked it up in the lathe and put a center in one end and started trimming it down with the tailstock in place holding the far end.... and that's when I discovered my lathe isn't cutting parallel ...
fortionately for me it is wider at the tailstock end than at the chuck end so I could just move down about 3" and rtim the next section , and repeat till I have the entire rod to within the size I need....
Then came the "Hunt for the die" delema... I didn't want to single point thread this rod
because that's too technical, I just wanted to tap some threads on it and be done...
well, that turned out to be a bust because my chepo tap and die set had the markings on the stuff with laser etching or something, and now their completely unreadable !
so I gave up for the day and decided to think on it a while.....
my plan was to thread both ends and just put a nut on the ends of the rod...Easy peasy
! but it didn't work out that way....
Bob.....