View Single Post
Old September 6th, 2021, 10:49 AM   #8422
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2007 SV650S 2005 EX250F

what r/r to upgrade to??

Bob, could you just stiffen the preload a click in the back to minimize the chance of rubbing? Worth a shot...

So I took the '05 for a test run up Palomar today with a buddy of mine. This was the first time out on the open road and it was very informative. I rode 15 minutes down to his place and waited for him at the gas station. Saddled up and hit the starter: dead battery. I brought tools and a charger so plugged it in, got coffee, ate one of the muffins my wife made yesterday and by that time it fired right up. We made it through the canyons, up the mountain, it did great but I could tell it wasn't producing tons of voltage. I kept the rpms between 8-11k pretty much the whole time so I wouldn't get too low of a charge. I made it home (total trip was probably 3hrs) and it's sitting on charge now. Once it's fully charged I will diagnose what I assume will be a bad oem regulator.

So here is my question: does everybody go with the mosfet style on these still? Ghostt in the ninjawiki mentions a FH010 model r/r but I see that has been replaced with the FH020AA unit for sale on ebay here. Is this the one I should buy? I've done this job before but it has been several years. I used to own '90s Hondas and I'm all too familiar with the bad r/r's; I just want to make sure this is the right upgrade for our lil ninjettes.

Otherwise, the bike was an absolute blast! I couldn't go full HAM with it as the front springs and rear shock are really limiting my abilities but it will get there. It is so much more fun riding a slow bike fast!