View Single Post
Old September 19th, 2015, 03:21 PM   #1
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Tiger 800 XRT

Almost Polished Some Pavement

Didn't go over, but I locked up the front!

I was coming to an intersection where I was going to turn left, the left turn signal was green, and (naturally) turned yellow right when I was in the no man's land of go or stop. There was nobody behind me and it's a busy intersection so I immediately got on the brakes, smooth and hard. I could tell I was going to overshoot the stop line by a foot or two, but I'd still be well clear of the intersection.

Well, that fat white stop line was pretty thick, and when my front tire hit it, it locked up. I was almost stopped by this point, but I slid to a stop with the front tire probably halfway into the crosswalk, maybe 3-4 feet past the stop line. I gracefully landed on my left foot as if it was all according to plan. Never really started to go over, but I could tell the front tire was cocked a little when I stopped so I probably wouldn't have stayed up much farther.

Anyway, my main error was approaching the intersection too hot, hoping to make the green light. Saving a couple minutes at a light isn't worth potentially dumping it. Also, respect those damn lines, even dry they can mess you up. This one wasn't a simple paint line, it was one of those that is a couple millimeters thick, not sure what they're made out of, doesn't look like plastic.

Made it through safe and sound, valuable lesson learned!
Ralgha is offline   Reply With Quote