View Single Post
Old January 20th, 2014, 11:38 PM   #6
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiBill View Post
I had RT emulators sitting on the shelf waiting to be installed in my EX500, but went ahead and bought Intiminators after I found out about them. The standard installation is basically just "Drain the fork oil, open your forks, trim your spacer an amount that matches the thickness of the Intiminator, drop the Intiminator in, and put the other parts back in." I did mine without removing the forks from the bike.

It was slightly more complicated for me because I added an oil drain screw to the forks during the process (Gen1 had a drain screw, Gen2 removed it). I also hadn't properly set my sag, so I was adjusting the spacer length in addition to trimming it to account for the Intiminator. FYI, the base was 15mm thick on my 039-20-1001NIN Intiminators.

The marketing material states that unlike emulators, you don't need to drill out the damper rod holes. However, high-speed damping is controlled mostly by density rather than viscosity, so the stock damper rods could still be affecting things even after dropping down to the suggested 5W fork oil. For best results, you'll probably want to remove and drill the damper rods so that the Intiminators are solely handling the damping. I didn't do that, but plan to next time I have the forks apart.

I sold the emulators before taking them out of the box, so I don't have a direct comparison. However, I'd say that getting springs of the proper rate and adding the Intiminators makes the biggest frost-heave cracks in the road feel the same way the smallest cracks felt on the stock setup (I could feel literally every seam in the road). It doesn't completely remove every bump and make it feel like you're riding on glass, but the current setup is worlds ahead of how it was in stock form. I'm no expert and I'm not pushing the bike to its limits, so I'm sure there's plenty of room for improvement.
The reviews from ADVRider.com suggested the same thing as well paired with springs set up for your weight. I have not ordered the springs yet, but I plan on doing a comparison down the line.