Thread: Gas gauge fix
View Single Post
Old March 24th, 2012, 08:37 PM   #12
GiGs
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

I realize this thread is a little (3 years) old... BUT I *may* have discovered a fix to all those who have the problem with the fuel gauge indicating the wrong status.

I want to make it clear that I do NOT have this problem.

IF YOU CANNOT SOLDER DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS !!!!

This is a picture of the back of my fuel gauge:

Notice the burnt plastic / hot glue ? That means those resistors are getting quite hot, hot enough (eventually) to possibly fail completely or go bad and give an inaccurate reading (which would give you a false reading on your fuel gauge !).

The ohm's should read as follows:

NOTE : You will need to cut 1 leg of the 47 ohm resistor to get a proper reading, otherwise it will give you a reading of the coil inside (which is 22 ohms with the resistor connected). IF YOU CANNOT SOLDER DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS !!!!

With that said, if your readings are not correct...the resistors will need to be replaced. From some super quick calculations, they are 3 watt's each, have an accuracy rating of +/- 5% (see the gold band at the end of the resistors..) and are metal film resistors.

You must buy the exact same ohm resistor if you want to have an accurate reading. The type i.e metal film is not "especially" important, the wattage can be higher (which will give off less heat) but CANNOT be any lower otherwise you risk burning it to a crisp.

For those measuring or replacing who are wondering, resistors DO NOT have a polarity i.e a positive + or a negative -. They can be installed OR measured either way, just make sure to set your multimeter to Ω or 200 Ω before you start measuring

Bear in mind that this is only going out on a guess as I have no other proof minus the bunt glue/plastic mix on the resistor....

If your willing to try this, great...please let me know the results.

Be warned, it's a big job (my bike is completely apart so it was very easy for me but that's a whole other story). I am not and will not be held responsible for anything you screw up.

That was just a quick post, if more detail is needed let me know i'll try to check back here.
GiGs is offline   Reply With Quote