View Single Post
Old April 20th, 2017, 04:49 PM   #14
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Not breaking news, just lost in the shuffle, and possibly untested before now. =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiBill View Post
FYI, the 39111-1133 dogbones used on the Gen2 EX500 are 157.5mm eye to eye. A lot of EX500 owners buy shorter dogbones from FOG to raise the rear end for quicker steering (similar to the topic of this thread), so you might be able to find some for cheap/free (though $17 still isn't bad). Both the 250 and 500 use the same sleeves through the knuckle and swingarm, but the 500 uses 100mm long bolts (92002-1886) while the 250's are 98mm (92153-1831), so the 500 dogbones might possibly be a bit thicker or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostt View Post
Very interesting, as I currently own a 91EX, and 98 Ninjette.

According to your findings, you'll be looking for 2nd Gen EX bones 2nd Gen is 94 & up.

Another thing to keep in mind there is an upgrade sold by one of the old member over at EX-500.COM username FOG. He offers bones that raise the rear and helps handling, braking etc...

Here's his link, and a lot members have them and swear by them

http://www.ex-500.com/16-sale/4778-fogbones-sale.html
If 250 owners want FOGbones, they'll need to figure out what length they need and custom order them. The bow in the middle isn't enough to handle the GSXR spring without spacers either. They're convenient for EX500 owners because FOG has already done the math and can spit out exactly what we need, and they have a bit more room for larger springs (our swingarm limits our upgrade options), but otherwise they're nothing too special (and more expensive than some other options). I have no issues with mine, but they're in a box after the Penske made them unnecessary.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote