adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigballsofpaint View Post
Yes but Andy in general you do want 10-15% of the total trailer weight to be tongue weight. If your car can tow 1,000lbs then it prob has a tongue weight of 200lbs max. But its prob not called out anywhere since its not very common in small cars. Too much tongue weight just has the effect of wearing out your tires or overloading the vehicle, but it will still be stable towing. Too little tongue weight will give swaying which is a nono.

Ive done too much research on towing with this new truck......
To be clear, I was talking about more weight on the trailer itself being within the limit, not more weight on the tongue.

I've got enough weight on the tongue that it won't go negative over bumps. Maybe 40-50 lb? Haven't ever measured. Before I moved the bike back I couldn't readily lift the tongue. It was clearly too much, based on the fact that the rear of the car would bottom occasionally.

I can say for certain that with more of the load being carried by the trailer's suspension instead of the car's, handling is a lot better and there's no noticeable impact on braking. It's not as if the trailer is ever going to come close to outweighing the car, after all.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote