View Single Post
Old August 18th, 2021, 07:14 PM   #55
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

well it SHOULD be alot cheaper ! i've seen fork oil for over $10.00 FOR 10 OZ.
YOU HAVE 2 FORKS TO FILL SO THAT IS $20.00 Just to change the oil in the forks ? what's the deal it's just oil folks !
so I just came back from walmart where I got a quart of full synthetic ATF from Valvoline and 3 measuring things that will help get the measuring correct.
I lost my handy dandy measuring beaker like thing I had used for 50 years in the Ranch fire so come time to replace it, and I couldn't find squat !
so I went to the kitchen area and got a few things that should do the trick.
ATF is the best refined oil you can buy.... BUT it does have limitations
it's a bit thin for weight oil on the lathe but I add about 50% of 30wt and it works great. it's a fairly good penetrating oil and rust preventive. but it is thin.....and it's not an oil you want to leave on your hands as it has alot of detergents in it....in other words, acid ! wash your hands good afterword.
I'll put the ATF in the forks and see if that makes any difference.
....I have a gut feeling the fairings and all will have to come off again....
....i wonder if I could put a ZIPPER on those things ? LOL.....
( I'm thinking Pins and Keepers would be a good thing in about 4 places on each side...pull the pins and undue the 2 screws on the tank and one more pin for the bottom.... and pop the side off.... that would make it alot easier !)
... um,eh...it's a thought ! I like them on there or I wouldn't keep putting them back on ...but theirs gott'a be a better way to attach them than that !
....even if it's just studs where the screws are now and then a spring clip to keep the nut on.....whatever !
back into the shop with it ! Sigh !
Bob..........