View Single Post
Old June 23rd, 2021, 06:34 AM   #2
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongzy View Post
Hi all, I have recently brought a 2008 ninja 250R ex250j

I have a problem where my ignition switch was not working so I removed my barrel and ignition, I have a fully charged battery and I have tried to jump start it, so when I used my battery it cranked over a few times but was no spark because the 100ohm resistor needed for gray wire, I am really stumped as to what is going on I thought it was a dead battery the clicking solenoid reason so I tried to jump start it, and the solenoid is still just making a single clicking Nosie when push to start, I have used a metal screw driver to try bypass the solenoid and it does nothing would anyone have any ideas as to what I should do next?

I am getting 12.4v when trying to start and 12.7 without trying to start, I am getting 12.4v to the starter motor when clicking push to start, but just a clicking solenoid still, as stated I have tried to bypass solenoid but nothing happens when using a screw driver, I have checked all fuses yes including the 30a fuse.

I just ripped the starter motor off and connected it to a battery and it is running fine, it has to be the solenoid right.
If you are getting 12.4V to the starter motor, have jumped the solenoid, and confirmed the motor works - it should spin the engine over. It would seem the starter motor is not spinning/engaging when mounted.

Have you tried spinning the engine over manually with a socket on the crank? Have you done any engine work recently?

Maybe others have ideas, but if you are getting voltage to the starter motor, and it's not spinning, I would think it's the problem. EDIT: Unless the engine is locked-up.

Last futzed with by jkv45; June 24th, 2021 at 06:27 AM.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.