Old June 19th, 2017, 10:23 AM   #3
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
I get the sense from that comment that he expects drivers to do the right thing and therefore wasn't accounting for drivers that aren't doing the right thing in his decision making.
I've had low-level arguments about this with guys who think I'm being overly cautious when I do things like slow down before passing someone in the opposite lane who waiting to make a left turn across my path. I slow down to a speed that I believe would allow me to stop or swerve out of the way when he doesn't see me and goes. The arguing guy believes that at some point you just have to "commit and go", or you'd end up yielding to everyone, all the time, and of course that's not true.

In this case, I don't think it's reasonable to think that the car driver should have seen him. If I were in a lane splitting situation, I think it would be reasonable to assume that none of the other drivers around me would notice me. And not just because they're bad drivers, more like because they've had a lot of driving when lane splitting wasn't allowed, and their brains are not programmed for it.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.