Old September 2nd, 2019, 06:49 AM   #13
VaFish
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaph42 View Post
Not yet, but I don't doubt it will be available because the price is within the range of reasonable compared to other electric bikes. If it is vaporware, no big deal. As you mentioned there's still Energica and Zero, which are both better options than the Harley.

What's NOT reasonable was the Strike's initial ad campaign. What pissed a lot of people off, myself included, is that initially they were saying you could get all the good stuff (150mph, 150 mi range, fast charge) for $13K. The whole world was like "Whoa, game changer!" Later on it came out about the bike's "tiers" and you can't get 150mph and 150 mi range for $13K.
How long will Lightening be in business to support that bike? A reasonable price means nothing if you can't make a profit to stay in business.

Zero and Energica better than the Harley?

That is a very subjective call based on looking at specs on paper. And when looking at those specs make sure you are comparing similar components. The Livewire has top of the line components on it. Neither the Zero or Energica have a DC fast charger on them. To get quick charging on a Zero you have to use multiple Level II chargers. And you still don't get an 80% charge in 40 minutes. A DC quick charger is what makes a long trip in a Tesla possible.

Energica has 11 dealers in the USA. Zero has more, maybe 75 but still not much of a support network. Harley has 150 dealerships signed up to sell the Livewire already and more signing on.

You can look at specs on paper and pretty much any Japanese bike is better and cheaper than a similar Harley Davidson, but Harley keeps selling them. Harley has positioned themselves as a premium motorcycle.

I'm not saying the Livewire is the best deal in an electric motorcycle, but if you really take a look at the cost, the features, and the competition it isn't priced that outrageous. No more outrageous than any other Harley motorcycle.

Also consider that Harley is going the opposite route of Zero. Zero started out with basically an electric bicycle and has been building up to bigger and better bikes. The Livewire is meant to be Harley's electric show piece. They have other electric bikes in the design phase that will be smaller and cheaper.

I will agree with you that if someone is considering buying a Livewire they should take a demo ride on the competition. If they can find a dealer near them that will let them take a demo ride. They should do a comparison and buy what they consider is the best bike for them.

Again I'm not buying one, I'm not selling them. I took one for a demo ride, and they are a hell of a lot of fun. Now if Energica, Zero, and Lightening would send a semi truck full of electric bikes around so I can take a demo ride on them I will. But none of them have the money to do that. (although Zero does have a dealership a few miles away that allows demo rides)
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote