View Single Post
Old September 2nd, 2019, 02:41 PM   #18
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiBill View Post
Yuck. I just looked up the Livewire's charging details. You can use a regular 120V outlet (Level 1) to charge at ~13mi/hr. It has a standard J1772 L2 port, but it still only charges at the L1 rate - H-D skimped on the AC/DC charger electronics onboard. It also has L3 DC fast charging at ~192mi/hr (~1hr recharge). It looks like most utilities won't even run the 3P 480V necessary for that into residential units (if you wanted to drop huge cash on the best charging option possible). That means you're limited to a 10-11 hour recharge time anywhere there's not a DC fast charging station.
That's very sad that they chose to skimp on charging on such an expensive vehicle! It really doesn't cost more than $10 to add good AC-adapter for L2 charging.

One of my friends used to work at H-D headquarters and he tells me they have basement full of high-tech prototypes. Stuff that's light-years ahead of current market. But they intentionally chose to shelve it and crank out same old crap because that's what their target audience buys. With H-D's shift away from traditional old smelly-hippie clients to more affluent yuppie dot.com weekend-warriors, hopefully more of this tech will make it to market instead of being kept in cellar.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote