View Single Post
Old September 4th, 2021, 10:38 AM   #1
Melikoth
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Ninja 250R

Removing core from fuel tank lock?

Hello,

I'm working on a 2002 250R that is suffering from corrosion on the fuel cap. Did a bunch of research and finally the courage to take it apart, mostly following this great guide. Things were going fine until I sheared off a screw around step 8 and decided to drill it out and just order an OEM replacement.

The replacement part does not have a core in the lock, it's just empty. Using that part as a reference I still can't figure out how to remove the core from the old part. The new part doesn't appear to have any sort of retainer clips, so I suspect the key will need to turn which it unfortunately does not. I've been hitting the bottom of the assembly with blaster for a few days, but that hasn't loosened it at all, nor has some light taps from a hammer.

I've only managed to find this one image of a disassembled and it seems like a simple mechanism, but all the cheap replacements on Amazon seem to come with keys so it appears I'm trying to do something unusual by swapping the core out. Plenty of information on how to do this for the ignition, even some for the seat lock, but almost nothing on the fuel tank lock.

Does anyone know how to remove the core from the fuel tank lock?
Or is it just time I take it to a locksmith/dealer?

Any suggestions would be appreciated,
Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 790190.jpg (41.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210904_130455556.jpg (78.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210904_130538512.jpg (60.8 KB, 5 views)
Melikoth is offline   Reply With Quote