View Single Post
Old October 27th, 2014, 11:37 AM   #1
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
IBA Memorial Ride - Oct 25 2014

There really isn't much to this report. I need to work on the video as I didn't take any still pictures.

The Memorial Ride was set up to honor fallen riders, friends, and family who've left this world for better places. It's a chance to think and reflect on their lives and how they've impacted your life.

I opted to do a fairly straightforward ride, a simple Saddlesore - made a bit unique by being fully in state. The plan was just ride out 80 to I-5, north to the very last gas station I could find before entering Oregon, then turn around down as far south as I needed to go, before back up north and home via Truckee.

The trip down I-80 was calm, the stars bright overhead, and traffic light at 5am. Entering Sacramento, the clouds started to build, and the rain gave a preview just afterwards.watched the sun rise around 7, and enjoyed cruising north through the hills of the valley. The rain returned as I started climbing up towards Shasta and was full on monsoon mode going over the mountain. Dropped back down into the valley and the sun came out to create a brillant double rainbow over a landscape I could only describe as what Ireland must look like.

Quick fill up and turned around to enter the rain - where I found my helmet stopped venting. The visor and my glasses fogged up severely, and I pulled over before I created a deadly situation for me. Got the fog wiped off somewhat and back on the road.

A terrible headwind continued to slow me down as I made my way towards Lodi, where I encountered a huge accident that stopped traffic cold. I filtered up to the front (along with a dozen or so other bikes) and waited while the helicopter took out one of the patients and the ambulance left with another.

Onward down towards Firebaugh, and the phone calls came in regarding the snow over the passes. A quick conference with my Dad built a new route to avoid returning over Donner and gaining the miles needed with a finish at Placerville.

Straightforward ride, plenty of time to think and reflect, and another successful return home.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.

Last futzed with by NevadaWolf; October 29th, 2014 at 11:18 PM.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.