View Single Post
Old February 10th, 2013, 01:05 PM   #35
mfresh
Knee-dragger in Training

Name: Manny

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R (Sunbeam Red)

I too always "cover" the front brakes with a finger or two and I must say it gets pretty uncomfortable given how much throttle twist is needed on the 250 sometimes... Thinking of trying the "zip tie" throttle mod to help out with that.

Consequently I always hit my front brakes much quicker than my rear. I have locked up my rear plenty of times and like everyone says the best way to "feel" how much rear you need in conjunction with your front is simply practice practice practice..

You practice enough times and you'll begin to develop a sense of how much footwork you need to give the bike, and most importantly, when to let off.

What I do, and this may help you out as well, is practice quickly "pumping" the brakes which is similar to what you would do in a car without ABS.

I am not saying "pumping" the brakes in the sense you grab the brakes, let off completely, and then apply them again. Press the rear brake and let off just a bit and press them in again in relatively quick succession.

The best way to get what I am saying it to get on your bike in a parking lot and start using your brakes. When you feel the pressure of the rear braking begin to affect the speed of the bike let off slightly and apply again until you hit that same "pressure" and let off again and apply again. You'll essentially begin to do a small "pumping" action. Practice this pumping action on the rear while you do your normal braking with the front.

I've noticed I lock up my rear tires much less frequently doing it this way and it seems I actually stop even quicker.

I tend to do this with both my front and rear brakes at the same time, particularly in "harder" stops. I feel the bike slows down quicker.

Not sure if this is sound reasoning, but may be worth trying out.
mfresh is offline   Reply With Quote