View Single Post
Old May 14th, 2020, 08:45 AM   #2
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobobb View Post
Picked up a used 2011 Ninja 250 last fall. Been riding pretty much all through the winter when it wasn't too cold. Got ~3000 miles over 6 months. Everything was going smoothly, and I've really been enjoying learning to ride on this bike.

About a month and a half ago, I pulled into a gas station 6 miles into a ride, filled up and it wouldn't start. Bump started it and it wouldn't rev past idle, so I had to tow it home. Figured the battery was old and dead, so I bought a new one. Charged it up and dropped it in and continued riding normally for about 700 miles over the next few weeks.

Yesterday, I was 40 miles into a ride in the middle of nowhere and it just died going 50mph up a hill. Tach drops to 0, no dash lights, and it's idling/ sputtering. Coast into a driveway and toggle the ignition. Nothing. No dash lights at all, won't crank, no power at all. Queue second tow home. It can't be the battery-- it's brand new!

At this point, I figure it's either the VR/R or the stator. I really hope it's the VR/R because I can probably replace that myself. Stator is out of my skill level.

Do OEM voltage regulators fail often in these bikes? How about the stator? I know some bikes are infamous for blowing regulators, but I haven't found anything on this bike.
It's the battery.

A new battery can fail without warning, just like an old one.

A volt meter will tell you for sure. Anything less than 12.7 V before starting is a discharged battery.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote