View Single Post
Old November 22nd, 2011, 12:48 AM   #63
Clearlynotstefan
ninjette.org member

Name: Stefan

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250, Totally black. Gsxr 600 Red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guoseph View Post
Okay I'll participate in the serious side of the conversation too. I think it all comes back to "It's the rider, not the bike".

I would say you shouldn't focus on the "250 is faster than a 600 in corners" comments since most of the time someone is talking about "my" 250 being faster than "the other guy"'s 600. Which, back to what the OP originally intended to talk about, is that a 250 is a good enough bike to go "fast" in the twisties. But realistically a well ridden 600 is always going to be faster than a 250, otherwise we'd be watching MotoGP on Ninja 250's. However, a 250 is a much more forgiving bike when someone is trying to go faster, being a bit ham-fisted with the throttle is a lot less likely to dump you off a 250 vs a 600 for example, and the difference in skill in comfort between 2 riders shines through.

In your case, same rider, different bikes. I think the situation is a bit different. Clearly the more modern suspension and components make you feel more comfortable at a higher rate of speed, and I think on the street that's perfectly fine, it's not a race afterall. I also think that if conditions such that you can continue pushing the envelop on the 250 (at a track for example), you might be surprised at the speed you can carry. You may not be comfortable, but the bike will probably do more than you think it will. Obviously the street is not the place to test those boundaries of traction, and riding 80% on a Ninja is probably not as fast as riding 80% on a supersport. But since we are not racing, who's really keeping score anyway

Let it go man, it's just a bit of bench racing. We all do it from time to time, it makes the hobby a little more fun
Couldn't agree more!

I always get a kick out of people that compare bikes when they're really comparing ability, or usually motivation. I can run faster then a ferrari, if it's not trying to drive faster then I run. I love when people say Oh man I went riding with this bike or that and I got to the end first, so my bike is fastest...When that guy could have just been cruising enjoying the ride... I'm guilty of it too!

Thanks for your good attitude... I figured I'd get jumped bringing the real topic back up...And you are right to bring up the SS being much more picky about technique and rider input. It will throw you on your face if your throttle control isn't decent. When I first started on a 250 I made inputs via my clutch that would lock my rear wheel and send me flying on my 600...It's part of the reason I love the 250!
Clearlynotstefan is offline   Reply With Quote