View Single Post
Old June 12th, 2017, 09:44 AM   #139
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Positive demonstration of an utter lack of artistic skill?

In all seriousness, it would solidify your memory of the track in the same way that writing things down solidifies them in your mind. I've taken to doing the latter more and more... the action of applying pen to paper triggers memory formation and recall in a way that's different from digital input. It forces you to slow down, be deliberate and think about what you're doing.

Something I like to do is run a movie of the track in my mind, over and over. I can see every marker, feel specific bumps, recall individual moments from the last time I was there.... I can readily describe every part of the track at Palmer in detail, based on that visual memory.

YouTube is an amazing tool for this. Every track I'm ever going to ride has been captured on video by riders far more skilled than I. Sometimes they're even narrated... I have a couple of those posted in the Northeast Track Day thread.

My wife doesn't get it but it sure beats binge-watching NCIS.
If you draw the track then yes, it helps to solidify it in your mind for sure. But it also helps to point out the areas where you have more visual information and confidence. this usually coincides with your speed through that section. The more info you have about that section of the track, the quicker you can go.

So it also shows where you are lacking visual information and therefore gives you a target area to practice. When I raced AMA at Daytona and Fontana I had never even turned a wheel at the track and had only one full practice day and 3 sessions the following morning before qualifying. I drew the tracks and that clearly identified my weakest areas (which also corresponded with my slowest split times) So I made sure to focus on that area the next time I went out to find more reference points. Each session out I picked a few corners to add more reference point and each time I came in I drew a new track and added my points. Each time I drew the track I had more information and I was quickly able to learn the track and get my times fast enough to be able to qualify for the grid.

It works to push you to pick specific areas to work on and to really be conscious of track layout and reference points
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote