Thread: Ughhhh
View Single Post
Old July 22nd, 2015, 03:49 PM   #7
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
I've trained my muscle memory so that when I come to a stand-still I always slowly let out the clutch, gradually so that there is no chance of it being in gear and lurching. You can add double protection against the kind of lurch-drop you experienced by also training yourself to hold in the front brake as you release the cluch: that way if you do release to quick and the bike is in gear, the bike wont lurch forward it will just stall.

While you are new to riding it's a really good time to encode as much good riding practise into muscle memory as possible. There are soo many silly little mistakes that you can make during the daily use of your bike. If you always follow the same, sensible, patterns you will likely never make those mistakes. I guess I'm trying to say: figure out for yourself what's the best way to deal with a typical scenario and then stick with doing the same thing every time. At first you will have to do it consciously step-by-step, but after a short while it will become subconscious and you will look and feel very confident and smooth!

Side note: I'm not sure how it is on the 300, but on my 250R shifting from second gear down to neutral is a bit awkward and feels imprecise. I pretty much always shift from 2nd down to 1st gear and then half-shift up to neutral. The shift up to neutral feels far more precise. There's a more satisfying click!

Oh oh! Also: on my 250R the bike doesn't always want to find neutral no matter how many times I move the shifter down or up. The easy fix is to very gently let the clutch out slightly (with little or no throttle). You'll hear the gearbox click firmly into gear and then you can pull the clutch lever all the way back in again and you should now be able to find neutral.