Thread: Beyond reckless
View Single Post
Old November 18th, 2015, 04:31 PM   #22
toEleven
Slower than you.

Name: toEleven

Motorcycle(s): CBR600RR, CB750, EX300 (半蔵)

MOTM - May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
No racing gear can deal with a 190 mph impact. Even a 40 mph impact into an immovable object with your noggin will be life-altering, and often fatal. The benefit that racers have is that they are riding in an area where run-off area is designed to absorb mistakes, and is as free as possible of obstacles to hit unexpectedly. Yes - there have been racers that have crashed at or above 200 mph and walked away; but that is because they were sliding for hundreds of feet, decelerating smoothly the whole time, and their gear protected their skin.

If one crashes in a random area on the street, the likelihood that they can lose control at these speeds and slide harmlessly to a stop without hitting anything (or being hit by something) isn't something I'd bet on.
A 190mph crash doesn't guarantee a 190mph impact of the sort you're describing. I don't disagree with you, but I don't think we're discussing the same thing. I offered unfortunately vague terms - "the task" - and you offered a very specific scenario.

On the topic of TT crashes, how about Guy Martin's big highside from earlier this year:

Link to original page on YouTube.