View Single Post
Old December 3rd, 2015, 05:03 PM   #8
Supernam
ninjette.org member

Name: Nam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Nice, I come from cruisers and dirt bikes, so we have something in common. Welcome to track riding, it's addicting fun aye?

Finally got to watch the vid in its entirety. It's not the best to gauge things from, but much better than nothing.

I wish I could hear your throttle control but alas...

Things that I noticed for a rider on his 3rd track day.
1. Get off the seat earlier, before hitting the brakes as best you can
You are absolutely right about getting off the seat before the corner, it feels weird but I'll do it.

2. The timing of your looking and turning is off, keep your eyes at least one step ahead. Look before you turn.
Honestly I don't even remember what I am looking at, I think I'm suppose to look at the brake marker then the apex cones.

3. You're missing your apexes every now and then because of #2 but mostly because your tip in points are different lap per lap (points will give you consistency )
I kept changing my tip in points to try to find something that was perfect, but throttle/lean angle/body position changes everything every time.

4. When you're on the rear wheel of someone, don't follow their lines... making their same riding errors. Their riding leaks into yours if you visual linger on them too long and it gets worse and worse the longer you follow them. Ride your own ride, even when following them.
I do this, it's like target fixation. I just keep thinking, how am I going to pass this guy.

5. Slide back off the tank a bit. (Had to watch in slo-mo for this one)
I was told by the instructors to slide forward to put weight on the front, am I too far forward?

Things I liked.
1. Great self control and restraint on entry to turn 1 and other corners. Notice how your line would intersect with other riders if you didn't hold back and anticipate. Well done...
I didn't want to do anything to spook anyone.

2. Overall pace as consistent throughout the lap, not camping any specific corner and such.
I think my biggest issue was slowing down too much in turn 2 and not having enough speed for turn 3.

3. Seems like you mostly set a line and keep it, with only a few "major" steering corrections.
Only when I overbrake did I have to do major steering corrections, I was told I shouldn't brake as much and just use engine braking more.

Do you feel yourself ever adding lean + throttle at the same time? Why do you think that is?
I notice I do this at the exit after apex, throttling on and leaning more because I feel like I'm going to go off the track. Maybe too much throttle too early?

How do you feel about steering the bike? Based on this video, do you feel you steer quickly? Is steering the bike related to #'s 2, 3 & 4 from the list of tips? Could you benefit from steering faster?
I feel that steering this bike is easy, it's just a matter of having the correct corner speed so I won't have to readjust steering?

Last question... What were the temps in this video? Were you able to relax?
It was around 25 degrees celcius / 7 degrees fahrenheit

Looks like a fun track, bigger than kart tracks but smaller than the big ones. Seems like a perfect fit for the smaller cc bikes. Thanks for sharing and hope to help.
This track has 3 configurations and this is the smallest one, good for smaller bikes and learning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Here is one more tip I wish I was told earlier on in my track riding.

When you catch up to traffic and rules prevent a pass, use that time very wisely. You're going slower than you normally would right? Then why aren't your throttle control, lines and apex's perfect during those times? What else are you thinking about...?

Many riders cruise through hot pit slowly to get clear track, but all those half laps start to add up to a lot of wasted time. Feel me?
Yeah, maybe I should just back up and make it perfect and if I catch up again I'll try the pass. Thanks for watching and the tips.
Supernam is offline   Reply With Quote