View Single Post
Old December 4th, 2015, 07:15 AM   #37
QuickSiR
ninjette.org member

Name: Maxime

Motorcycle(s): Honda 599

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Keeping index and middle fingers on the front brake's lever improves throttle control as well.
The practice can save as much as one second of reaction time; which means stopping 117 feet shorter when moving at 80 mph or 44 feet shorter when traveling at 30 mph.

The hardest part is to control the survival reaction of suddenly pulling the lever during panic reactions.
You should progressively squeeze that lever with determination (the bike will not flip over).
Firmly but not slowly, just gradually and smoothly.
The above is not a natural reaction, reason for which it requires much practice.

Avoid hanging from the handle bar; clip the fuel tank with your knees and keep your arms relaxed instead.
The handles should be treated as hand rests rather than hand grips.
Effective counter-steering only requires pushing forward with the base of your hands; your fingers should be relaxed and free to play with the clutch and brake levers.
The steering should have some degree of freedom, so the bike can auto-correct any deviation induced by road imperfections.

Never liked that. As soon as I start applying the front brakes I squeeze my other two fingers. How can you guys apply any kind of significant braking pressure?

My riding instructor adviced against it as well saying he saw many people break fingers in emergency situations.
QuickSiR is offline   Reply With Quote