View Single Post
Old December 4th, 2015, 08:23 AM   #38
toEleven
Slower than you.

Name: toEleven

Motorcycle(s): CBR600RR, CB750, EX300 (半蔵)

MOTM - May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSiR View Post
Never liked that. As soon as I start applying the front brakes I squeeze my other two fingers. How can you guys apply any kind of significant braking pressure?

My riding instructor adviced against it as well saying he saw many people break fingers in emergency situations.
Finger independence is a developed skill, and I would venture the amount of development required is a very personal thing. I think of it like playing guitar and controlling the pressure of individual digits. Applying pressure is the same deal; develop finger strength. The calipers are doing the real work. You don't need to be Popeye to apply as much braking force as you'll ever be able to use. Broken and amputated fingers do happen, but I'm inclined to suggest that if you reach that point you're already panicking or crashing.

In any case, squeezing my fingers on my throttle hand doesn't equate to twisting the throttle. The force isn't applied in the same direction. Crude MS Paint drawing:

*Note: I'm not a two or one finger braker. I'm far more likely to throw all 4 over the lever most of the time. Vaguely like a far-less-skilled Rossi (but far less petulant and unlikely to run you off the road for daring to compete with me). Clicking the image will take you to the youtube video these shots are from, complete with Kevin Schwantz narration:

I'll hunt around when I have time, but there's an interesting Dave Moss (suspension dude) video or article where he talks about using individual fingers for varying levels of control, given the differing amount of leverage each has on the brake lever.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.