View Single Post
Old December 10th, 2015, 10:44 AM   #22
Supernam
ninjette.org member

Name: Nam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somchai View Post
Maybe I missed it or did nobody talk about the way how to use the brake?
This in my opinion is an important point also but in many cases forgotten.
So please help me someone to describe in an understandable way what I would say in German with the word 'ride in a precise and smooth line'.
Plus a second important point is that the suspension setup is just as stiff as needed and not 'too hard' what also helps to ride a 'clean line'.
Thanks for mentioning about the braking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
If "ride a precise and smooth line" refers to braking, then I'd say it means to avoid grabbing the brakes. Apply, then squeeze hard... as you release, also release smoothly.

The reason behind the "apply then squeeze hard" has to do with the front tire contact patch. As the weight transfers forward under braking, the tire deforms and the contact patch grows, giving you more traction.

If you suddenly grab the brake, the tire doesn't have time to do this and you're more likely to lock the front.

When you squeeze, you're allowing the contact patch to grow a bit, which then allows you to brake much harder.

One of the biggest eye-openers for me when I hit the track was just how hard you can brake. That's hard to get used to if you drive like I do... in my car I use the brakes as little as possible, for efficiency's sake.
Smoothness on braking is something I need to work on as well. I am finding that with this bike there is very little braking needed in addition to engine braking, I have slowed down too much in my opinion on many corners just by grabbing too much brake or possibly braking too early as well.
Supernam is offline   Reply With Quote