View Single Post
Old June 4th, 2010, 11:58 PM   #1
Kitdog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kit

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 1996 Yahmaha YZ 125... Both in Blue the coolest color

DIY Painted wind screen

Well my friend who WORKED at the tint shop does no more, (owners daughter dumped him so he fired) so I decided after much thought that I would just paint my wind screen. I never look through is i don't tuck that low and if I try I'm hitting my helmet on the tank. I also don't like the looks of a double bubble, (just a personal preference) So here is a DIY on painting your wind screen.

First look at kkim's DIY on replacing the windscreen http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13507

Then these are the things you will need, along with a razor blade and scissors, some blue masking tape, some paper, and this part is key the KRYLON FUSION for plastic. I got mine at Wal-mart. and got the Gloss black.

Then begin to mask off your wind screen. the Side that is inside the curve will be the painted so be careful to mask well the other side to protect from over spray.

after masking the front of the wind screen.

To mask the "bead across the top of the wind screen I affixed 50% of the masking tape to the out side then Rolled it over to the back (to be painted) side

I then took my NEW (has to be SHARP) razor blade and cut away the masking where the bead ends on the back side and pealed the masking tape away.

After I took the masking tape again and placed it round the edge of the wind screen (the edge like you were trying to look at how thick it is) and affixed it even with the back (going to be painted side) and the rolled the excess over to the front. also notice how I went over the mounting bracket to make your tape cover these bits simply cut the tape like this... just fold over to the front side.

Just slice the tape onto little fingers and over lap them as you fold.

Once you have the sides well masked, simply take some news paper and mask off the remaining front side. this is the view looking threw the to painted side at the final masking job.

Then paint the unmasked side, shake the can WELL (yes untill your arm hurts about 3 min). Next repress all your masking, (just to be safe). Begin to paint with short strokes holding the can about 8-10 inches from the screen,perpendicular to it, laying down a thin, even layer of paint, building it up until you can no longer see through the screen, allow to dry, about 30-45 min and then apply a 2nd coat with the same method.

Then allow the screen to dry fully over 10-12 hours, I left mine over night.

Remove the masking and behold your lovely new black wind screen.

I have to say the Krylon is AMAZING, the results are almost glass like and supper smooth.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DIY Painted wind screen - ninjette.org.pdf (4.17 MB, 31 views)