View Single Post
Old August 19th, 2012, 08:54 PM   #8
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
The smaller jets in the jet kit are for someone who uses the stock air box unmodified. The 98 mains are a tad rich. If someone is up in the mountains in Colorado for example, the air is more lean, and those 98 mains will be even more rich. A smaller main jet will help with that. The kit is meant for better jetting. Gotta have some different sizes to choose from to get it right for the location.

yeah, I would just buy the jets from jetsrus.com or a dealership and not worry about the aftermarket needles. The aftermarket needles are adjustable and the taper is different than the stock needles. That means the fuel delivery will be slightly different than the stock needle, but realistically, shimming the needles up gets 95% of the result at 1% of the price.

The aftermarket needles by themselves are hard to find. Were you looking at jetsrus for just the needles? That's going to be tricky because you'll have to measure the stock needles, the aftermarket needles (of a couple brands, I know the numbers are out there somewhere) and compare to the selection of needles that are in stock. If you're comfortable with finding your own aftermarket needles go for it, but I have no experience with that. It will be easiest to either use jets and washers, or get a full kit. Finding the right needles might be more work than it's worth, and idk if it will actually be that much cheaper in the end.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote