View Single Post
Old March 16th, 2017, 09:58 AM   #1
rgx107
ninjette.org member

Name: Rolf

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300

Bad rotor, poor magnetism

It seems the rotor or to be specific the magnets are bad, not strong enough. I did the measurements per the workshop manual, and it all points to the rotor magnets. It is also consistent with how it runs, it's fine at high revs but when idling or at low revs the battery (charge) indicator comes on - meaning the voltage drops too low. I have around 7-8 V on the generator leads at 4000 rpm - should be 35 V with no load.

And the rotor is expensive, around 500 EUR locally. Maybe slightly cheaper online. And it seems to require special tools to replace, so I'm hesitating. Since the old rotor is scrap one might not need to be that careful when removing it, but when installing they recommend a "flywheel holder" that looks like an oil filter removal tool, only bigger. Anyone has done this? What did you use.

Other than the special tools it seems to be fairly straightforward. The bike is from 2013 and has done around 55 000 km - I guess most 300s have less milage so you can start worry about yours now.
rgx107 is offline   Reply With Quote