View Single Post
Old March 18th, 2017, 02:34 AM   #8
rgx107
ninjette.org member

Name: Rolf

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300

Thanks guys, your comments are very valuable. I haven't done any more work yet, but it is clear that the generator is bad. I will remove the cover with the stator to inspect, if you're right that is good news because the stator is easier to replace.

Steve you are right that there is no chance ever that the resistance as measured on the connectors can be below 0.05 ohm. It must be a typo. I have some experience of using a milliohm-meter to verify ground connections, thick cables (100 mm2) bolted to a vehicle and they are usually around 10 milliohm or slightly below. To measure below 50 milliohm the stator leads would need to be short-circuited, if even then.

I am tempted to rewind the coils but I will first buy a new stator most likely, if needed. The season is short here, have to benefit from the few warmer months of the year. From the pictures it looks like there are 18 coils.

The rectifier/regulator must be verified as well but I do know it gives some charge so at least part of the rectifier is OK. The regulator might be OK, otherwise it's shorted and all regulation has been done by the stator gradually failing until current was so low it couldn't degrade further.

The thread should have a new title as well.
rgx107 is offline   Reply With Quote