View Single Post
Old October 9th, 2014, 11:38 AM   #42
micoulisninja
modaholic junkie

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2001 ZX-12R, 2009 ninja 345cc and plenty of others in the past...

Bruce, beleive it or not, these pistons on the pictures are the same pistons that come with the kit, only that they weigh 17 grams less (135,4 now instead of 152,3 when they came with the kit) and their crown shape is totally different, to accomodate properly with the head's design...
so the rotating assembly is definetely heavier than stock by about 19-20 grams but also about 25 grams lighter in total than it would be if I let it untouched...
2000 ZX-6R's stock pistons were used as reference only to compare weight, shape, deck to pin distance etc... they are from another project that failed because of a bad fuel pump...

the plan is that after a week (when the engine will have been put together and operating that is...)of few working hours each day, we will put a camera in through the plug hole to check on their condition... I will keep ignition timing advance mild and AFR relatively rich and work my way towards ideal through the wideband II tuning kit I have on the bike....
if we see any deterioration or diagnose problem having to do with their quality, I will probably give a try to the 2008 ZX-6R stock pistons, having to do some minor changes with CR , cam timing etc...
what are your thoughts on what you have seen so far ?? I see no comments from people and keeps me wondering why...

have you finished your engine yet ? at what stage are you at the moment ?