View Single Post
Old January 31st, 2017, 11:27 AM   #40
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
This made me think about a trait of the students that I see advancing quicker than the average

Many intermediate riders looking to go to advanced and be able to ride advanced pace ask for tricks to be faster, while many such tricks and techniques do exist their focus on the quick and easy way of gaining pace tends to hinder them. Meanwhile the students who realize that the fundamentals are the key to everything are the ones that impress me at that level. The discipline and willingness to work hard to improve the right way is impressive in itself.
AMAZING. Couldn't have said it any better!

I was that new racer that wanted all the tricks and tips to get fast quick. I'm like that in regular life as well, I don't want to wait in line or take the stairs one at a time, I want to skip three on the way up to the top. However, I realized in racing motorcycles that the fundamentals are what will get you to the top the quickest. Only by following a steady mastery of the basics can you build on your skills and get fast quick. I took level 1-2 at CSS at Laguna Seca (at the same time as trying out for the coach position). It was the first time anyone had ever shown me how to actually STEER a motorcycle. That was a huge step in itself. Then I worked on throttle control (I HAD NO IDEA) then lines, vision....I took level3-4 and became a coach.

Each time I go out on track with students I work on someone of my own riding, I practice what they are working on, I try to get on the gas sooner, I find more reference points.....I'm always learning.

When I started racing AMA Keith Code MADE me draw the race track, write down my reference points, take notes!!! I hated doing it but it was the only way I was able to learn the new tracks fast enough to get up to speed. Think about it...showing up at Daytona and having never turned a wheel on that track and having only one day to learn it before qualifying at AMA times. I drew the track, compared split times with overall times, got coached on the phone by Keith himself, did the drills directly from the CSS curriculum....everything was one small step at a time. Each session got me a little bit faster, more improvement. Sometimes I was simply working on advancing my basic throttle controls so that I was getting to WFO a little bit sooner. Seriously, I HATE step by step fundamentals but they really work LOVE IT!!!
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote