Old March 15th, 2018, 10:56 AM   #2
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
No experience with the scooter tires, but in general:

If you're a total novice on the track, it's going to be awhile before you really need sticky tires. Initially your pace will be a lot like a spirited street ride. How fast you progress depends on you... some of the people I see at every single track day are still riding rather slowly.

Having said that....

Sticky rubber is a real confidence booster and is one less thing to worry about. 90 percent of this is in your head. If you've got nagging doubts it really inhibits you.

Having said THAT....

Equipment like sticky tires can sometimes mask mistakes, which you'll make a lot of as you learn.

If it were me, and the few bucks really are a make-or-break thing, I'd start on the cheaper tires and start saving immediately for better rubber and more track time. If it's just "I've got the money but I'd rather not spend it," I'd go for the better tire.

Here's the thing about the track and money: If you really get bit by the bug... and chances are you will... your wallet will never be the same. I advise you to grab every single opportunity you can to set money aside.

I have a piggy bank that I put cash into whenever I can. I bring my lunch to work and don't go out much. I ask for track gift certificates for holiday gifts. I buy the membership and ride enough to make the cost of each day as low as possible. My organization offers a pre-pay cash discount that I use every time. The tire guy offers discounts to members so I buy tires from him. I camp at the track instead of going to a hotel. I cook for myself instead of buying food at the track. etc. etc. etc.

It's only mid-march, and I've already got enough set aside to pay for next year's membership and one weekend. By the time I hit the track for the first time in May, I'll probably be most of the way to paying for the whole season.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote