Thread: 140 80 17 tires
View Single Post
Old August 9th, 2016, 12:57 PM   #159
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Ha, well, it's really not as hard as you think. The biggest trick is to keep the tire beads in the "drop center" section. That is, the part of the rim in the center, where the spokes are, where the diameter is smaller. If you keep the beads there, there's plenty of slack to get the tire over the rim edge in one area, and once you have that, you're pretty much home free. I usually have to stand on the tire with both feet to keep the beads together, and work on the bead across from where I'm standing.

If you let the beads spread and get out of the drop center, you will have the fight of your life, and have all the rim scars and bloody knuckles you described.

You also need to lube the edge of the tire, inside and out, with something slippery. I use a thin coat of undiluted dish detergent, but dedicated mounting lubes are really best.

For breaking the bead, there are many ways, including using the base of an old style car bumper jack, but I got a slide hammer bead breaker, and it makes quick work of everthing from motorcycle tires to the huge tires on my Ford 4000 tractor. If you don't like the price of this great tool, get someone to give it to you for Christmas.

The bead breaker:

are you talking to me?

If so, then yes, it is not very hard in theory and I don't think it is hard as long as you have the right tools, some experience and know what you are doing. But for someone trying to change their own tire for the first time with next to no specific tools for the task, no experience other than watching some videos then yes it is going to be difficult for them

I find street tubeless tires to be quite quick and easy especially compared to mx bikes & tires with tubes and wheel locks

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.