View Single Post
Old June 10th, 2011, 06:05 AM   #1
Lvr
ninjette.org member

Name: Levi

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Help diagnosing electrical issue

Hi folks,
I've been having a funny problem with the headlight on my ninja for a few days now. It's been flickering very slightly while I'm riding, bothe low and high beams. It seems like it's a little dimmer when the engine is under more load, like going 60 or going up a hill, but it kind of jumps around all over. I though maybe it was a bad connection getting jostled by bumps, but it flickers at idle while the bike is sitting still too. It's not a fade either, it very distinctly jumps from one level of brightness to another.

The thing that caused more worry though is that I went to start the bike this morning and the starter motor only kicked in for a couple seconds and then died, apparently from the battery dying. I hooked up a charger and got it started, but I can't figure out a reason why this would happen. the battery is fairly new (bike's a 2010) and was properly maintained over the winter. I only have one electrical accessory, which is some switch-operated LEDs hooked directly to the battery. they were not left on though.

Any ideas? I know next to nothing about electrics, so any thoughts are appreciated
Lvr is offline   Reply With Quote